Sunday, December 16, 2012

Mozambique!


Hello everybody,
Sorry about the very, VERY long blog hiatus, I know you were all on the edge of your seats the last 6 months wondering what I was doing, so here it is in a nutshell. I’ll try my best to be communicative, but I haven’t been speaking much English above an 8th grade level for the past year, so bear with me.  I was part of the very last group of Peace Corps Volunteers in Cape Verde. The program was “graduated” as a Peace Corps post and I was transferred to Peace Corps Mozambique. I moved away from my loving community on my little volcano in the Atlantic amid tears, pig blood, and hopefully realized plans to return.  The pig my neighbors had killed the day I left was still being butchered amid a downpour of tears when the car to take me to the airport showed up early. I left what had been a wonderful home for the past year already missing my loving neighbors and friends.
                The first of my post-Cape Verde adventures was a trip home to California. My sisters helped me buy a ticket home and we decided to make it a surprise for our parents. So while Mom and Dad thought I was thousands of miles across the Atlantic, I showed up at the front door. The visit was rejuvenating, went way to fast, and at the end of September, I departed for Peace Corps Round 2: Mozambique.  
                For the past 2.5 months, I’ve been in Peace Corps Training take 2. Although some of the sessions were redundant and at times starting all the way back at square one again was discouraging, all in all training #2 went great. I learned Portuguese, made some amazing friends, and became a sister and daughter to yet another wonderful host family. Then, on December 4, I was sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer for the second time around. After a beautiful ceremony and reception at the Ambassador’s house, all 69 of the 19th group of Mozambique volunteers were sent off to our sites.
                So that’s how I got where I am at this very moment, melting in the sweltering heat of the African sun.   I have been assigned to teach English in a small, rural, very off-the-map community in the Mozambican province of Tete. Jutting into the African continent and bordering Malawi, Zimbabwe, and Zambia, Tete is the western most province in Mozambique AKA the furthest away from any cool ocean breeze in the county.   So, here I am living on the road to Zambia. So far life has been a whirlwind of smiling new faces, dramatic lightning bolts on the horizon, window-rattling thunder, and copious attempts to stay hydrated. I wake at sunrise to sweep the constantly replenishing layer of dust, to carry my water from the town well, and get some socializing with the neighbors in before the sun makes anything but sitting in the shade impossible.
Despite the fact that some trainees threatened to go home if they got sent to Tete, my host family made  fun of how hot I was going to be, and how actually hot and sweaty I am now that I’ve arrived, so far I love my new site. I live in a cute cement house on the school grounds, surrounded by mud huts, LOTS of goats, and the rolling planes of Africa. Although I am new, the people have been nothing but open and welcoming. They have shown me where to pump my water, invited me into their homes, and have already begun teaching me the local Bantu dialect, as many people here do not speak the country’s official language, Portuguese.  So although I am melting in the delirium-inducing, sandy, early afternoon heat, I am grateful to have been sent to such a culturally rich, welcoming community, and I’m sure I’ll get used to the heat.
My back yard 
 So there you have it- what I’ve been up to. I’m going to try my hardest to keep my blog updated, and since school isn’t starting until January, I should have plenty of time to hide in the shade and write down my thoughts, so stay tuned. I’ll be delving further into my life on the road to Zambia, my adventures on the African continent, and my daily ups and downs as a Peace Corps volunteer. As always, I love to hear from you so keep me updated on your lives as well!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment