Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2013 So Far


Happy New Year everybody! I hope 2013 is off to a great start for you all! Here in Mozambique, butterflies have been emerging from their cocoons all over the place (seriously, there are swarms of butterflies exploding out of every nook and cranny of my house), monsoon rains have become a daily occurrence, and the seasonal bug infestation seems to have transitioned from giant beetles to giant ants. In other news, the first week of school is finally here! I found out yesterday that I will be teaching all the 8th and 9th grade English classes at my school, and should have around 550 students. I’m also going to be the coordinator of the English department and the director of one of the 8th grade classes, so I will be extremely busy this year! It should be quite a challenge, but I’m excited to have so much to do, and am really looking forward to meeting all my students!      

The school and view from my front door...not a bad commute 
Here in Mozambique the school year starts in December and yesterday we had the 2013 opening ceremony. It “started” at 7:30 (which is what time I got to school full of energy and in my nicest professional attire), however, most of the other teachers and officials didn't show until around 10. I forgot to account for “Mozambican time.” So around 10:30, the ceremony began with the national anthem. Everyone was impressed that I already knew it, but not nearly as impressed as when they asked me to plant a tree during the next phase of the ceremony. The crowd looked on in wonder as I expertly dug the hole, removed the sapling from its bag, placed it gently into the hole, making sure to leave room for its roots, and replaced the soil with my hands…all without dirtying my dress pants. Thank goodness for my northern Californian childhood and the extensive tree planting experience that entails.  During the tree planting ceremony, a first day of school tradition here, several trees were planted on our school’s grounds. They are tokens of good luck, strength, peace, and of course FUTURE SHADE for the upcoming school year and were planted by representatives from the local government, the teachers, and the parents. I was honored that they asked me to represent the teachers in the ceremony, and I can’t wait for my tree to become a much needed oasis of shade for the community.  
My house! Check out all the new rain induced greenery! 
The next stage of the day involved opening remarks by several officials, a health officer, and the director of my school. I was very impressed with the messages these speakers brought forth. They spoke of the importance of addressing gender equality in education, of our responsibility to respect linguistic and cultural diversity, of the need to preserve national unity, of the need for health education and care, of the teachers’ responsibility to improve the quality of instruction in Mozambique, and of the district’s plans for the expansion of primary education into rural, hard to reach locations. As a Peace Corps volunteer, these issues are at the heart of my work and it was incredibly uplifting and encouraging to hear these thoughts resonated by the administration.
a beautiful post-rain sunset from my backdoor
The words of the health officer who spoke were especially eye opening to me. As an education volunteer, I spend most of my energy on school-based projects and teaching, but the words of this inspired young doctor really opened my eyes to the need for health education in my school and community and I hope to get a few health-based projects going this year. As the torrential  rains of the monsoon season dump amid window rattling thunder, the dry scorched earth is revived, greenery springs from the earth in the blink of an eye, and the usually stupor inducing heat slightly decreases.  Corn, beans, and manioc, the staples of the Mozambican diet, are celebrated at the dampened earth allows for planting, and the people are hopeful that the rains will continue and lead to a good harvest. But there is another side to this would be joyous monsoon story. For along with the life giving water, comes life taking disease. Along with the moisture and “cooler” temperatures come swarms of malaria bearing mosquitoes  In the past week alone, five people I know have contracted malaria and the rainy season is only beginning.  Aside from malaria, the daily downpours have resulted in flooded latrines, contaminated drinking water, and cholera outbreaks. I feel truly grateful to have my Peace Corps issued mosquito net, water filter, and medical kit, but it is breaking my heart to see the way these diseases are ravaging the people of my village. Talking with the doctor afterwards, I learned that a large portion of the daily health care problems that the local clinic encounters are the result of lack of education in terms of water and sanitation. I am hoping to work with the clinic to hold a series of meetings and trainings and will definitely be integrating health topics into my English curriculum.  Although things are rough, things are also improving. New health centers are being opened, passionate young Mozambicans are awakened and inspired to help their nation move forward, and education is being made a priority all over the country. I am happy and honored to be able to make whatever small contributions I can to what 2013 holds for Mozambique. Much love to you all!!! …and remember, it makes my day to hear from you, so please please let me know how you all are doing wherever you are!   

No comments:

Post a Comment