Monday, January 28, 2013

The Goat Rescue




So as I’ve had several requests for an elaboration of the goat incident, here it goes. I spent Saturday in Tete City, the provincial capital. I have to go there to go grocery shopping so I make the trip every week or two. Any adventure to Tete is usually exhausting since the city, which is along the banks of the Zambezi River, is regarded as the absolute hottest point in Mozambique and probably all of Southern Africa. Most travel guides suggest staying away as the heat is overwhelming for visitors, but since I don’t have a market in my town, I spend a fairly significant amount of time in one of Africa’s hottest cities. Luckily it’s a fairly clean, friendly city, and although the shopping trips are sweaty and exhausting, I enjoy them. Whenever I go to Tete, I spend at least half my time sitting in a restaurant with air-conditioning and stalling as much as possible while on errands in air-conditioned locations. My favorite restaurant has MULTIPLE air-conditioning units, giant fans, falafel, and ice cream….it is paradise.  However, the power was out on Saturday so Helen and I were left to run our errands amid the blistering heat without the promise of an air-conditioned oasis lunch. All was not lost though as the market was better stocked than usual, I found a fresh pineapple that I could afford, and eventually the power came back on.  Needless to say, when I arrived back home that afternoon, I was pretty tired. However, there would be no time for relaxation.
                As soon as I had put down my backpack and begun to unpack my precious cargo of fruit, vegetables, dried beans, rice, powdered milk, and peanut butter, my 7th grade neighbor came by with bad news. She timidly told me that a goat was in my latrine. Now, I have to explain that goats are frequently in my latrine. They use it as a shelter when it is raining or when the sun is too hot, so I thought she was just informing me about the usual goat trespassers, but something in her tone warned me otherwise. She then told me to come look, so putting my shiny new jar of peanut butter on the shelf, I followed her outside to my pit latrine. My latrine is a cement structure with a tin roof. The floor is cement and has an opening cut in the middle of it with a very deep pit below it (probably about 10 feet). Although a wall provides privacy for the user, there is no door, hence the usual goat intruders. These goats USUALLY stay away from the hole, sensing as any intelligent goat would, its impending danger. Furthermore, the hole, over which the user must squat to do their daily business, is too small for most goats to fall through. It was just big enough however for a young goat to get itself into quite a crappy situation…literally. You could even say his life was in the pits at the moment. The poor thing had somehow managed to fall through the hole in the floor and into the deep, incredibly disgusting contents of the latrine. The goat was now crying and crying, calling to its mother or anyone who would listen, or probably just crying about how much of a bummer being trapped in a pit latrine is.
                I was startled, sad, and worried all at once. I asked my neighbor what she thought we should do. She said the only option was to leave him in there. Not willing to believe this, I went to talk to other neighbors about the situation. They seemed much less alarmed then I was, informing me that this happens all the time and blaming the goat’s owners for not keeping better track of their animals. Neighbor after neighbor told me that unless I could find a legendary old, drunken man who wanders the town and has been known to get goats out of latrines in the past, the only option was to leave it. However, this was definitely not an option in my book. The thought of having to take care of my daily “bathroom” business on top of a slowly dying adolescent goat was not only unthinkable for me, but sent me into a panic-driven frenzy to rescue the goat. I went back to my house, looking out for the old drunken wanderer, but he hadn't been seen for months, so that option was basically out. When I got home, I put on my headlamp, cut down my clothes line to make a lasso, and headed back out to the latrine. Shining my headlamp into the dark, feces-filled abyss, I could make out the goat. I secured my headlamp even tighter to insure it too was not claimed by the pit, and lowered the clothes-line lasso into the depths. The smell was appalling. As I tried to get the lasso around the goat’s body, it retreated into the corner, into the space under the floor of the latrine, where I could no longer see it. I handed over the lasso to the neighbor and went to a nearby tree to pick some leaves, a favorite goat snack. Throwing the leaves into the pit in an attempt to lure the frightened animal back in to our sight, I couldn’t help feeling incredibly sorry for this poor creature. What a predicament!  A few of my students who had come by to see what I was doing tried to help by making goat calls, trying to get the animal out of hiding. After several unsuccessful attempts to fish the goat out with my make-shift lasso, we had attracted a substantial crowd of onlookers, who once again advised me not to worry and to just leave the goat. I was getting frustrated. There was no way I was leaving a goat to die in my latrine. I mean it already smells bad enough and what an awful, AWFUL, AWFULLL way to die! No animal should have to suffer like that. I was beginning to panic due to everyone else’s lack of motivation, and my thoughts were racing. Was there any way for me to fit through the hole, climb down, and get the goat? I could take a really long bucket bath after. Could the goat be coaxed to climb into a bucket if I lowered one down?  Could we dig a tunnel through the side of the pit to retrieve the little guy? WHAT IF I HAVE TO POOP ON TOP OF A DYING GOAT EVERYDAY!???? AHHHHH…I think I would go home if that was the case.  So in a last attempt to inspire motivation and get the on-looking kids on board with the rescue, I offered 100 meticais (all the money I had in my pocket) to the first one to rescue the goat. 100 mets is about $3, but was a small fortune to the neighborhood kids.  Immediately they sprang into action. Goat rescuing contraptions began to materialize out of every possible resource. There were harnesses made of twine and attached to long sticks, a similar invention made of plastic bags, various ropes and cords, and even some offers to climb into the latrine. I refused to let any children climb down the hole…a goat stuck in the latrine was one thing, but I definitely did not want to responsible for getting a kid trapped in there.  After a few hours of attempts, altering the contraptions, re-coaxing the goat back into sight, and confused looks from passing adults, the winning contraption came into being. Two of my students made a lasso-like attachment out of yucca leaves and connected it to a long stick. I handed over my headlamp and wished them luck. They spent the next half hour or so trying to capture the goat. I was just about to give up on them when I heard a commotion inside the latrine. I had a sudden fear that they had dropped my headlamp in the ominous pit, but realized almost immediately that they were cries of victory, and the goat cries were definitely less muffled! Just then, the goat came storming around the corner of the latrine, flustered and very dirty and followed by the victorious goat-rescuers. I quickly snapped a picture of the group and asked them not to release the goat until I gave it a bath. So, after having a few buckets of water dumped on him and a heartwarming reunion with his mother, the little guy’s nightmare was over, two of my students became the richest kids around, and I when nature calls, I can use my goat-free latrine once again. Although a stressful incident at the time, the goat rescue brought me closer to many of my students, taught the onlookers that not everybody thinks it’s ok to leave goats to die in latrines, and was actually pretty entertaining in hindsight.   You’ll be pleased to know that I have since reinforced my goat-guarding mechanisms and have redesigned the latrine lid to be heavier and not easily pushed aside by a stumbling baby goat.  Thanks for reading everybody and much love to you all! Until the next adventure!
The Goat Rescue Crew  in front of the culprit latrine 

                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment